Nicolas Sterling is a French Structural Engineer - Architect and Entrepreneur.
He is Director at SPANS since 2017, co founded in Berlin with the German Architect Elke Sterling-Presser.
Nicolas Sterling graduated from the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers (CNAM) in Paris as a Civil Engineer and from the School of Architecture Paris La Villette as Architect DPLG. Living previously in Paris and then in London, he gained 15 years of experience, working internationally at ARUP BEL, ARUP AGU led by Cecil Balmond, AKTII and HDA as a structural engineer on high-profile multidisciplinary architectural projects including buildings, foot-bridges and large scale art installations. His “design-led” approach and further interest in innovative form, and complex structures have allowed him to contribute to cutting edge projects with renowned designers and architects worldwide.
Nicolas has been involved as an external reviewer in the Konstructiv Project programme at Braunschweig TU in Germany in 2016-2017, and since 1999 he has been collaborating in many regular international review programmes such as DRL Architectural Association London, Bartlett London, MET London, Akademie den Bildenden Kunst in Vienna, KTH Stockholm, Xian Architecture and Technology University in China.
Structural Engineer, 2004 (CNAM Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers)
Architect DPLG, 2002 (School Paris la Villette France)
Chartered UK ICE Euro Engineer FEANI
- Worked at AKTII (UK) as Associates Director (2011-2017)
- Worked at OVE ARUP (UK), as Structural engineer (2005-2011)
- Worked at HDA Hugh Dutton Associates (France), as Graduate / Structural engineer (1999-2005)
Selected projects delivered as Structural Engineer
- Grand Theatre de Rabat, Morocco (Zaha Hadid Architects)
- Presidential Palace, Algiers, Algeria, (Zaha Hadid Architects)
- Coca Cola Pavilion, London, UK (Designer Asif Khan & Pernilla Ohrstedt)
- Ashmount community centre (architects Peynore and Prasad)
- KAPSARC, Research Centre, Saudi Arabia, (Zaha Hadid Architects)
- KASC Stadium, Saudi Arabia, (Arup associates)
- QFIS, School, Qatar (Architect MYAA Ali Mangera)
- Danish Pavilion, Shanghai, China (Architect BIG)
- The Morning Line Sculpture, Sevilla, Spain (Artist Matthew Richie with Aranda Lasch)
- Reuil 2000 Footbridge, Rueil, France (Architect ANMA)
- Torino footbridge, Italy (Architect Engineer HDA)
- Management and team leadership
- Technical supervision
- Innovative concepts & realistic feasibility
- Design & delivery of complex form and architecture
- Interface with disciplines and interface coordination
Professional association and membership
- Institution of Civil Engineers ICE / FEANI / AFGC
- Baukamer Berlin (in process)